Newsletters > Stationary situations for the Frantz Filter
Stationary situations for the Frantz Filter

Mar 2, 2012

Sometimes our Frantz customers use their Frantz Filter on engines that are not in a motor vehicle but are more permanent or stationary. These also require servicing on a regular basis but since they don’t travel we must convert miles into hours of operation to know when to change the TP.

When converting if we consider a vehicle traveling 30 mph it takes that vehicle 1 hour to travel 30 miles. With this in mind it takes 10 hours for that same vehicle to travel 300 miles and 100 hours to travel 3000 miles. Since we recommend changing the paper every 3000 miles a stationary engine would normally be serviced every 100 hours. Once could say every two weeks in a very dirty environment or every three weeks in a more clean environment rather than watch a clock on the engine (assuming it has one). These numbers would be modified for 2500 miles if we were dealing with a diesel engine. Our example of changing the TP every two weeks works pretty well for diesel engines.

I wanted to alert some of you in California of a new twist the state has put on owners adding by-pass filters to their vehicles. Recently, I had occasion to have my wife’s car smog-inspected. The vehicle passed in flying colors as far as emissions is concerned but failed in the “visual inspection”. I was shocked since it has always passed for the past 10 years without a hitch. The technician explained the emission system had been “modified” which voids his ability to issue a satisfaction for the inspection. He observed a brass swivel fitting on my oil filler cap for the return of my oil from the Frantz Filter back to the engine. Since the oil cap is a part of the emission system it had been modified and thus he failed the inspection overall. Unless the part has a California Executive Number printed on the part it is an unauthorized modification.

Since this swivel fitting is produced by AMSoil I contacted them for help in this matter and asked if they are aware of an Executive Number for California for this part. They never heard of this and within one day took their oil filler cap with installed swivel fitting off the market.

Normally, I would seek to acquire this part approval process however since the part is not a Frantz part I feel it outside the limits of my authority and thus will expect AMSoil to run with the ball from here out.

The technician did tell me he would pass the inspection if I went up the street and bought a new oil filler cap and swapped caps while the car was in his shop. I could do that however I would then have oil flowing all over his floor from the open return oil line. This would work only if I had installed a shutoff petcock valve in that line which I had not done. I had been going to this inspection station for many years now and reluctantly left the facility without a valid inspection and was able to get my car inspected elsewhere without a problem.

I bring this to your attention only because one of my customers in Northern California also had a similar experience. There are a few solutions to this but should not be necessary. First, AMSoil should seek an Executive Number for this part if they wish to sell it in California for this purpose. Second, owners should consider having a spare oil filler cap when inspections are necessary and have a shut off valve installed in the oil return line. Lastly, don’t even mention it to an inspection station at the time of the smog check. If anything positive develops from this story in the future I will update you of those changes.

Meanwhile, when was the last time you changed your TP in your filter(s)? Allow this to be a reminder if you have been negligent in this matter. Protect your engine by regular TP changes on schedule. Happy motoring.